Taking care of yourself is extremely important. I’m a firm believer that you can’t take care of anyone else unless you first take care of yourself. So how does one do just that when you’re seemingly being pulled from all directions whether it be from your career, your family, or just life in general. First priority should be you, and then you’ll be able to give yourself fully to all your other responsibilities. Taking care of yourself first doesn’t mean you are selfish. Putting yourself first means you are wise and understand that if you want to live a long and full life, you must listen to your body and give it what it needs. Here lately in my closings, I’ve been saying “take care of yourself as well as others.” What I’m really saying is take care of you just as well as you take care of other people.
We, especially women, tend to put ourselves last, overextending ourselves without providing ample time to recharge and rejuvenate. Then we wonder why we’re so depressed and tired all the time. It’s because you haven’t taken the time to invest in you. You haven’t taken the time to refuel an already overworked and burned out mind, body, and soul. Self-care is about staying mentally fit. So do what you must to ensure you are equipped and ready to pour into someone else because you can’t pour from an empty vessel.
I’ve compiled just a few of my recommendations of self-care tips that I utilize on a frequent basis to aid me in giving my best. If you run across some that you’ve never tried before, by all means, do it. If you have any recommendations, leave a comment of your holy grail self-care tips. After all, it’s about helping each other to get through this thing called life. Take care of yourself as well as others, and enjoy the remainder of your week.
- Get dressed up or put on your favorite outfit
- Apply some makeup
- Have a spa day/get a massage
- Get your hair styled
- Get a manicure/pedicure
- Read a good book
- Fast (I highly recommend intermittent fasting)
- Eat healthy
- Go see a movie alone or with family/friends
- Do something for someone else
- Go on a weekend getaway/travel
- Listen to music that uplifts and motivates you
- Go shopping
- Take a walk at the park
- Get rid of items you no longer need or enjoy
- Find what you are good at and do it often
- Stay away from negative people who kill your joy (positive vibes only)
- Go swimming
- Go bike riding
- Visit a good friend or loved one who inspires you
- Listen to an inspiring podcast
- Laugh at yourself
- Take a relaxing bath
- Drink plenty of water (It’s good for your overall health and well-being)
- Seek therapy/counseling
- Start journaling
- Go to an amusement park(for thrill seekers)
- Go zip lining (for thrill seekers); I went for the first time this year and loved it!
- Visit a healthcare provider/doctor for a check up (you may be deficient in essential vitamins and nutrients or something more serious may be going on that you know nothing about)